Though quiet within the game ahead of 9.1.5, Major news is happening outside the game. Jared and Manny discuss the letter from CEO Bobby Kotick, the cancellation of BlizzConline, and the controversy surrounding boosting.
The Letter from Bobby
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick laid out five changes going into effect in a letter to staff this morning, days ahead of an upcoming investor call.
- Launching a new zero-tolerance harassment policy, with a goal to “have the strictest harassment and non-retaliation policies of any employer…”
- Increasing the percentage of women and non-binary people in [ABK’s] workforce by 50% and will invest $250m to accelerate opportunities for diverse talent
- Investing an additional $250m over the next 10 years in initiatives that foster expanded opportunities in gaming and technology for under-represented communities.
- Waiving required arbitration of sexual harassment and discrimination claims for any Activision Blizzard employee who chooses.
- Continuing to increase visibility on pay equity – commitment to report progress on equity annually
- Additional Commitment to provide quarterly progress updates with respect to workplace initiatives outlined in the first four steps.
Battle Net name Change
The Cowboy in Overwatch has found a new name: Cassidy Cole. Blizzard is allowing players to request name changes on their battle.net accounts.
- Available until November 5th
- Request Form must be submitted
- Can take up to 4 weeks to process
- Limited time free BattleTag name change — Overwatch — Blizzard News
- Contact Support – Blizzard Support
Blizzard announced this week that the Blizzcon event, previously scheduled for early next year, has been canceled. The announcement cited that they wanted to take the energy that would be put into putting on BlizzCon and redirect it towards supporting their teams and progressing the development of their games.
Another update from the Dev Team
Team 2 has released another update in a blue post outlining more upcoming changes to all versions of the game. The post is linked in the show notes if you want to view them in full, but it seems as though the team is starting to become consistent with these little developer updates, though the substance of these posts (please keep them coming strong, love that you’re doing this bb’s) seems to be lacking. That being said, here are a few noteworthy things from the post:
- New Mount: Sunwarmed Furline
- MDI Grand finals happening October 29th (today) at 10 AM PDT
- The Great Push season 2 is happening December 10-12th.
- World of Warcraft Student Art Contest 2021 has started
- News and Development Updates from Team 2
- New Mount Available: Sunwarmed Furline
- Shadowlands: An Inside Look at the Character Creation UI Redesign
- World of Warcraft Student Art Contest 2021 details
The WoW community was embroiled in a renewed argument over boosting a.k.a paid carries. This practice has been pushed into the spotlight once again as Co-Lead Mike Ybarra tweeted out that he was streaming his guild’s involvement with the practice.
For Azeroth! Discord
LISTEN ON THESE PLATFORMS: